MU undergraduate students are invited to submit their expressive art and applied design projects to be presented at the 2022 Visual Art and Design Showcase, an online event starting March 16, 2022. Students selected to participate will visit with a panel of guest jury members and are eligible to compete for $8,000 in professional development funds and other awards.
Projects will be selected in the following categories:
- Video: Time-based media; includes journalism/documentary, digital storytelling video and film studies; no more than 10 minutes for each submission
- Photography: Includes photojournalism, art photography and digital storytelling
- Art: Includes painting, drawing, sculpture, mixed media, etc. (not photography)
- Architectural Studies
- Textile and Apparel Management
- Theatre: Includes set, costume and lighting design
- Strategic Communication and Graphic Design
- Open Category: Includes floral design, landscape/turf design, other journalism (design layout), 3D printing or any other type of artistic expression or design
All projects must have a visual element central to the work. The Visual Art and Design Committee will have final approval of projects and display requests.
Projects have included the “typical” art projects, as well as: 3D-printing projects, strategic communication projects, theatre/stage design, costuming, graphic design, jewelry, apparel and sculptural works.
Students may submit up to two projects to VADS, but they must be in different categories. For instance, you may submit a project to the ‘Art’ category, and the second project can be submitted to in any of the other categories; but you cannot have two projects submitted in the same category.
Faculty Mentor Role
Here are ways the faculty mentor can assist you
During the creation process:
Provide feedback on the project/art prior to completion
During the submission process:
• Provide feedback on and/or assist with drafting the Artist Statement
• Provide feedback on the project title
• Assist in selecting the images to submit with the application
If your work is selected for the 2022 VADS online exhibition, your mentor could assist you:
• Develop talking points for the guest jury evaluation (which will be via Zoom)
• Review the experience with the student after the Showcase.
Are you an artist thinking about applying to the 2022 Visual Art and Design Showcase but don’t know where to start? Join us for an informational session where you will learn about this amazing undergraduate experience, how to apply, the process of the exhibition and the benefits of participating.
ANY undergraduate student who has received faculty mentorship on their project may apply. (This does not have to be a class project! Any project for which the student has received advice, instruction and/or feedback on the item from a Mizzou faculty member is eligible.)
Projects have included “typical” art projects (painting, sculpture, illustration, photography, etc.), as well as: 3D-printing projects, strategic communication projects, theatre/stage design, costuming, graphic design, jewelry, apparel and sculptural works.
1 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 27, 2021
11 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2021
6 p.m. Tuesday, January 25, 2022
To get the Zoom link to any of the workshops click here. Once in MU Engage, search for ‘Undergraduate Research’ and all of the workshops will show up.