MU undergraduate students are invited to submit their expressive art and applied design projects to be presented at the 2018 Visual Art & Design Showcase in Jesse Hall (February 5-9, 2018). Students selected to participate will visit with a panel of guest jury members and be eligible to compete for $8,000 in professional development funds and other awards.
Projects will be selected in the following categories:
- Video: Time-based media; includes journalism/documentary, digital storytelling video and film studies; no more than 10 minutes for each submission
- Photography: Includes photojournalism, art photography and digital storytelling
- Art: Includes painting, drawing, graphic design, sculpture, mixed media, etc. (not photography)
- Architectural Studies
- Textile & Apparel Management
- Theatre: Includes set, costume and lighting design
- Other: Includes floral design, landscape/turf design, other journalism (strategic communication, design layout, etc.), 3D printing or any other type of artistic expression or design
All projects must have a visual element central to the work. The Visual Art & Design Committee will have final approval of projects and display requests.
For 2018, students do not need to be nominated by their faculty mentor prior to submission; however, students must have a faculty mentor of record when they submit their application (due November 6). Students need to begin working with faculty mentors as soon as possible. All student work must be complete prior to submission.
Students can expect faculty mentors to:
- Assist in developing a project description and a final 150-200-word artist statement/project abstract for the submitted work. These will be used for selection into the showcase, shared with guest jury members and be made available to the public.
- Provide feedback to the student on the project title.
- Assist in selecting 3-4 images representative of your final project to submit with the application.
- Mixed Media
- Digital Storytelling
- Print Making
- Graphic Design
- Apparel Design
- Theatre Set Design
- Theatre Light Design
- Costume Design
- Architectural Design
- 3D Printing
- Interior Design
- Strategic Campaigns
- Publication Design
- Documentary Film
- Landscape Design
- Floral Design
- Online application
- 3-4 representative images of your work
- Title of your work/project
- Descriptive statement of your project
- Information on size of your project/anticipated display needs
- Name of MU faculty mentor
Examples of Methods to Display Your Work
- 8’ x 4’ wood panels on which to hang work
- 3’ x 4’ hanging acrylic envelopes
- Digitally via monitors and headphones
- Film screening in Jesse Auditorium
- Table top
- Display case
- Dress forms
- Free standing
Artist Statements Help Links
- Your Artist Statement: Explaining the Unexplainable
- How to Write an Artist Statement
- Artist Statement
To join the VADS mailing list, email VADShowcase@missouri.edu with “VADS 2018” in the subject line.